Two Suðurnes teenagers were hospitalised after consuming sweets containing morphine and cannabis over the weekend. The girls aged 13 and 14 lost consciousness after eating the gummies given to them by an older boy, according to local police.
Both teenagers have now been discharged from hospital and are expected to make a full recovery, Suðurnes police announced in a statement on Facebook.
When the girls were first found unconscious, police believed that they were suffering from an unknown illness, but medical tests revealed that the girls had consumed cannabis and morphine.
The girls were given the sweets by another teenager who had bought them off an older man, according to police. Neither of the girls seem to have known the sweets’ contents before they ate them.
Police have questioned the young man who is believed to have given the girls the sweets, it is unclear what consequences he will face. The boy was “shocked” and “realised the seriousness of the matter”, according to the statement.
“Access to drugs is very easy”, police warn Icelandic parents. Once a teenager knows how, they can obtain illegal substances in a matter of minutes, the statements explains.
Gummy sweets are a particular concern for police as they can be moulded into any shape and can contain “whatever you want”. “You can, for instance, put strong medications like Contalgin or Oxycontin in [one] and you don’t have to guess what happens if a 13-year-old child ingests such a gummy.”
Parents are encouraged to take the incident as an opportunity to educate their children about drugs and their potential consequences.
Note: Due to the effect COVID-19 is having on tourism in Iceland, it’s become increasingly difficult for the Grapevine to survive. If you enjoy our content and want to help the Grapevine’s journalists do things like eat and pay rent, please consider joining our High Five Club.